Saturday, November 22, 2008

So Close


I can feel it,I almost had it but not quite.Well I took the duck boat S.S. Shocker up to the Chickahominy River on Friday.It was booked to be an excellent morning hunt with a fellow DU member that's new to the area.I would like to thank the local weatherman for getting the forecast completely backwards.They say 25 MPH winds and I wake up to snow well thanks for that.Then I would like to thank myself for forgetting a crucial part of the entire set up,my gun.Yes everyone that is correct I forgot my gun.After pacing back and forth thinking about what I didn't have packed in the boat I forgot my gun.I did turn around and go back to get it after I was 20 minutes down the road.No harm,no foul right?WRONG!We got the boat fired up and got to the spot everything was fine,except we were apparently setting up decoys 5 minutes after legal shooting time started and yup multiple pairs of wood ducks decided to buzz over our head.So we hunkered down in the grass,surrounded by cypress trees.The geese decided to wake up early and pay no notice to the decoys because they weren't made of corn I guess.After a few more missed opportunities when I wasn't paying attention we packed up and headed home without a shot fired.My only hope is when I go up to Maryland to hunt with Swamp Thing my bad mojo doesn't rub off on our experiences to come next week.All I want is a damn Wood Duck is that so wrong.

3 comments:

Downeast Duck Hunter said...

I see that bastard Murphy found you also, I'm looking at this stretch coming up and getting excited. But it's been in the mid 20's for the last couple of days and I'm sort of hoping for a heat spell. It looks like your brother found the geese, maybe he'll save one or two for you...

Rabid Outdoorsman said...

Early goose season I opened up my "shotgun" case at the landing to find it contained my 30-06 . . . ever seen a grown man cry!?!?!

Kirk Mantay said...

Rabid - that's classic. We are in a Murphys Slump right now - we got iced up and lost our local birds, and the next round of birds have not yet arrived...you'll be reading all about it soon!