Thursday, May 21, 2009

I'm Still Here

Yeah I know,it's a big surprise isn't it.First let me apologize for the lack of posts I have been writing,or haven't been writing.Second I want to apologize for what my blog has become.I started this blog as a way for me to communicate with family,friends and strangers what it is I do at work.It hasn't worked in the least bit.My friends apparently don't much care,which is fine because I suppose I don't much care about the 20 A/C units they put in at a condo complex.My family I think already gets the idea and well my writing skills flat out stink.I simply can't convey what I do at work in words.It is literally impossible.The few videos I have made ended up being five minute explanations that confused even me.The pictures require entirely to many nautical terms that I don't even understand sometimes.All that coupled with the fact that over the last few months my boat hasn't moved a single barge.People are dropping like flies and I work my butt off just to try and seem important enough to receive my paycheck and not be sent home.While I'm apologizing/explaining,sorry that the "tugboatdude" blog has turned into half tugboats and half outdoor stories.Clearly I enjoy writing about my outdoor adventures more than tugboats,but I do honestly love them both.So all that being said there will be a few minor changes to this blog.It will be written the same,however what I intend to accomplish with this blog will change.I have only one goal,to write about what I know about.Does that make sense?So,again,sorry the tugboat posts have been slow but I simply have had enough of shipyard grunt work and don't want to write about it.I'm actually looking forward to making these changes as I won't feel pressured to write about something I may not feel like writing about.Whenever we do get another contract the tugboat posts will return with a full vengeance and in my off time there will be plenty of outdoor adventure posts.thanks for your understanding to the five people that read this.

4 comments:

Downeast Duck Hunter said...

After thinking about this particular post, I get what your saying about the blog. You want to focus on your work, but so often bleed into another angle with the outdoor adventures. I found myself floating in all different directions, one minute I'm writing an article about the species of common eider, then posting pictures about a prank my high school students accomplished, then a lobster fishing story.

I sometimes feel that the direction of my blog is nothing short of driving while intoxicated, however it is my life and people for some reason like to see what's up in my world.

I wouldn't too drastic with your writing, I've enjoyed the maritime stories and pictures. But remember to write about what you want to, we have no editors to give critical input.

This blogging for me has become more about the connections throughout the country than keeping family up to speed. On any account, don't apologize for anything...

DEDH

Downeast Duck Hunter said...

insert "get" first line paragraph three, wouldn't want the Rabid Outdoorsman who has editors to rake me over the coals...

tugboatdude said...

It has been something I have been meaning to do for a bit.Now was a better time as any because with all the shipyard work going on there is very little of maritime value to write about.I'm sure soon enough we will get a contract and be back on the high seas,I just that time would hurry up and get here

Kirk Mantay said...

DEDH is right. The beauty of not getting paid to write is that there is no need to force it. I think you wouldn't be so discouraged if you guys were in the middle of a big offshore contract, a new boat, or changing some serious equipment out.

You could write a great post about down-time in the shipyard, but obviously once you've done it, it's done. Don't force it - if I'm posting once a week I feel like it's a reasonable update of what's going on in my life...work or otherwise. Sometimes I post 3 times a week....whatever...don't put so much pressure on yourself. We'll read it when you post it.

And you're right, I don't want to hear about somebody's AC installs unless they are at the Playboy Mansion.