Saturday, March 20, 2010

Risk Taker?


Who?This Guy?Not hardly!I have got to be one of the safest all around people in the world.Some might call it spineless,some might call it responsible,I call it safe.A few weeks ago after years of saving and months of planning I through my hat in the ring of home ownership.I learned more in the last two weeks than I learned in two years of asking everybody from Realtors to books.It's gone quite easy so far and I had the opportunity to put an offer on a house last minute but I didn't take the chance.The chance being that I would find a better,cheaper,newer,more to my liking house.I have only been looking at house for a few weeks,in person,and I find it hard to believe the one house I liked is the only one in my price range.So back to work I went hoping that over the next month the house wouldn't be sold,better yet maybe they will lower the price,that would be nice.



Upon arriving at work I noticed everyone seemed a little down,more than usual.This struck me as odd because the weather has finally broken on The East Coast and it truly was a glorious day.I was soon filled in that the Captain has made some outrageous claims involving everyone in the deck crew on this boat.So me being the not so level headed one,apparently chosen to lead this withered deck crew I went and had a "chat".This "chat",although less than pleasant,hammered out some problems that weren't really problems just bickers.One of the problems involved taking a slight risk by hanging over the side of the boat to reattach a tire chain that had broken off.Due to the size of the tire and it's location I quickly found out why it had yet to be repaired.It involved some trust,some strength and a whole lot of risk.Long story short the tire got fixed properly and I don't ever want to do it again.As far back as I can remember I have just never been a risk taker.I have no reason as to why I don't go travel the world or live in North Dakota or Canada with the North Americas best Waterfowl hunting.No reason why I don't leave the company I'm with besides I still feel like I owe them for giving me a chance a few years ago.I'm not sure if it was in the way I was raised or in my genes.I like excitement and I have definitely done some sketchy things in my life but I guess now that my life is good I can't afford injury or financial risk.

2 comments:

Kirk Mantay said...

Risk is relative to where you're at in life. I would never, now, do some of the things I've done before. But there are other things that I was not ready to tackle 10 or 15 years ago, that I now might be willing to try, and fail. That I lack the money to do most of those things is both good and bad.

I think the only "naked risk" out there is when you will only have one (forseeable) opportunity to do something. Some people are fine with walking away from that. Me? Usually not. I want to know that I tried.

I think the process is similar for most people who are somewhat sane and mostly drug-free. Certain things, at certain times, just don't make sense. And sometimes, they make a little more sense, and then you jump.

{nUtTyPrOfFeSsOr} said...

That is the issue; there is injury and risk around every corner. D0aH!