Sunday, May 23, 2010

I Can't Stop Now


Never in my thirty one years on Earth did I think I would make it to well,thirty one.I hit this not so important milestone a few months ago and I'm just now going to take a minute and look around.I didn't think even ten years ago I would be where I am.It may have been part stubbornness,part ignorance.I always thought whatever live today like there is absolutely no tomorrow and some days really wished there wasn't a tomorrow.Obviously I'm here and I just want to try and figure out what's next.In the last seven or so years I have slowly come around from hoping there wasn't going to be a tomorrow to looking forward to it.I still embrace the live every day like there isn't going to be another one,just a little more cautious.I'm more cautious now because I have more to lose.Most importantly,to me anyways.my job.I know a person who lives his life for his job is just a person who doesn't know how to live.I think that just depends on what your job is.





If you work in an office all day with your head in a computer,you haven't seen a sunrise in over a year,you wake up and everyday is absolutely the same as the day before,well you get the picture.I can't stress enough how working so many different jobs in my teens and twenties,I have no idea how I ended up where I am today.I was literally a signature away from joining the Navy,which isn't a bad idea for some.I won't get into the details but I have done some jobs that were,well,just that,jobs.So what's the difference between a job and a career?Does it have to do with chance for advancement,a pay rate scale,a certain amount of respect earned in the field you work?I honestly don't know,I'm sure wikipedia does though!In my mind the difference between a job and a career is the level of happiness one can gain by showing up every day.The pay rate scale definitely helps but I know a few people who make way more than the Dude and are quite a bit less happy.In all seriousness though I feel I'm lucky and every time I get angry or up in arms at work,I tend to look back later in the day and tell myself,hey it could be worse.It has been worse and it may be a bumpy ride again at some point in my life.Right now I'm enjoying the opportunity I've been given and I'm taking what spare time I can find away from work to do some things I have always wanted to do.I may not have the chance in the future,because after all most people typically don't choose whether there will be a tomorrow or not.

No comments: