Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Warm Weather Adventures

The guys from Man Camp 2010





With the temperatures finally turning the corner toward the warm side I knew it was that time of year again,MAN CAMP 2010!As a reminder Man Camp is quite self explanatory but I will explain it again for the less fortunate that were not reading this blog last year.Man Camp is the time of year when a bunch of guys go to the woods and try not to get arrested.No that isn't exactly it,Man Camp is a group of men go to the woods and waters of Virginia and do whatever they want.That's right no plan to have to go fishing or hiking,no set meals.If you want to go fishing go ahead,want to take a walk in the woods and sleep under an oak tree be my guest.There is one catch though,no bitching!Whether it's about your wife,your friends or the lack of fish if you bitch you suffer the consequences.Luckily in the last 8 or so years we have done Man Camp nobody has bitched so I don't know what the consequences are exactly.






Justin with the mandatory kiss of the first fish


Now that everyone has an understanding on what it's all about let me say a few words about this years Man Camp.We were lucky enough to have one of the original members join us at camp this year after a year off for "personal" reasons,whatever the hell that means.My friends of almost ten years Justin took the Friday off so we rode up to the Chickahominy River together with the boat in tow.Everything was normal as we launched the boat,I drove it around the creek and tied it to a tree.We set up camp and met his younger brother Ryan,who commenced to settling in.Later that evening after a nice boat ride and a few cold beers we were joined by the 9-5 crew.A fire was started and we all behaved ourselves like grown men,right.The next morning Justin,Ryan and I took the boat up river to do some bass fishing.My excuse for not catching any fish is I was trolling around cypress trees getting them into position.They each caught a few bass,one perch and a large catfish.We headed back to camp to awaken everyone else and we were greeted by Justin and Ryans father who made the trip down from Vermont.The afternoon went swiftly and towards evening I decided I needed to take a walk and clear my head.




Hopefully my new duck hunting spot




Ryan tagged along and we took a short drive up the WMA property to where I thought I might finally be able to find a flooded swamp area to duck hunt in.That's a lie,Ryan used his gps to help me find this damn swamp I haven't been able to find.It was a longer than expected walk but the area was excellent and I will be returning with waders to see how soft the bottom is.The night closed out with no incidents or injuries and Sunday morning we packed up and headed home.It was unfortunate that my two brothers were unable to make it but understandable.One has a new baby and the other had a work obligation.They were missed however there is and will be a next year.I'm already looking forward to Man Camp 2011.

No comments: