Monday, March 30, 2009

Doing Time


You know what sucks,getting old.It's not even the process of getting old that I despise,it's that I notice it and realize there is nothing I can do about it.Of course I'm sure many of you are saying dude it's thirty not 50 or 90.There may even be a few of you saying age is only a number and you are only as old as you act.Well if that's the case them I'm 12 I guess.Seriously though it could be worse I suppose.My health is generally good and I took a huge step towards that a few weeks ago,I stopped smoking.
It's been three weeks today in fact and I still crave them just about every day.To fight the craving I have been turning towards chewing tobacco.Yes I know that defeats the purpose and still causes cancer,I know mom it will still kill me.However,in the last 3 weeks I have only chewed twice and it wasn't as enjoyable as it usually is when I'm hunting or fishing.So now all I have to do is make sure I don't start smoking when I go home.See,everyone smokes in my line of work.Well not everyone,but about 90 percent of people do.Around my house it's 100 percent.My attitude has been in the pits,that I have noticed.It's getting better all the time as is my health.
Now we don't have a workout system on the tug,however I have found a way to keep my heart rate up on a daily basis.Stomach crunches,running up and down stairs and general duties on board have kept my mind off smoking for the most part.Well in another few weeks,when I get home we will see if I have truly booted the habit.Then it's time for this old man to get back into shape,or maybe just maintain

1 comment:

Downeast Duck Hunter said...

Getting off the nicotine may have been the hardest thing for me to do, and there isn't a day that I don't think about throwing in a pinch. I suppose the good thing is that I can't stand cigarette smoke, but fighting those "fits" became the ultimate test of willpower.

I do find myself on occasion having a chew with my buddies, and sometimes with a tin of my own. But after going through a major nicotine war, I will not allow myself to fall prey to the good chew.

The dry dock photos you posted were awesome, it's an industry so different than mine but at the same time so connected.

Take care man

DEDH